VIP’s 5 Point Platform:
1 – Environmental Justice and Public Health: VIP works to promote the good health of people and the planet by emphasizing natural and sustainable agriculture and environmental practices.
- Participates in national, state-wide, regional, and local environmental justice movements and organizations that advocate for clean air, water, and soil as well as more efficient and green community development and transportation methods including Central Valley Air Quality Coalition, California Cleaner Freight Coalition, Central California Environmental Justice Network, Greenaction, Catholic Charities, Peace and Life Center, Anti-Monsanto movement, and Anti-Fracking movement.
- Provides assistance with the storage, preparation, and meeting space needs for the weekly “Modesto Syringe Exchange” which aims to stop the spread of HIV, Hepatitis C, and help with other health problems.
2 – Youth Outreach and Alternative Education: VIP works to provide local young people, and other community members, with productive recreational activities and with socially and culturally relevant and accurate educational workshops and literature.
- Periodically hosts small concerts and musical events where local youth and community members are encouraged to, not only attend, but participate with their band and/or talents.
3 – Homeless Outreach and Empowerment: VIP works with community members that are without stable living conditions to help find the resources they need.
- Advocates for homeless resources and rights.
- Provides “Know Your Rights” information, resources on local anti-homeless ordinances, and assistance with law enforcement harassment.
4 – Tenant/Worker Rights and Solidarity: VIP works with local residents being harassed or treated unfairly by their landlord or boss and assistance in building solidarity amongst them.
- Participates in “Modesto Solidarity Network” project that uses solidarity and direct action to help workers get unpaid wages, unionize, and/or stop employer harassment and intimidation as well as help tenants get held security deposits, needed repairs, and/or stop harassment and illegal lockouts.
- Provides tenant and worker-rights literature, information, and other community resources.
- Networks with national and state-wide organizations assisting workers (especially non-unionized, migrant, fast-food, etc.) deal with employer intimidation, become unionized, and fight for living wages.
5 – Law Enforcement/Prison/Immigration Accountability: VIP works to ensure police, immigration, prison, and jail officials and institutions are held accountable for their actions in cases of abuse and corruption.
- Hosts “Know Your Rights/CopWatch Trainings” that provides informative literature, videos, and resources to educate local community members about their rights when stopped, detained, or arrested by law enforcement as well as how to record and document police interactions and/or abuse.
- Participates in, attends events, demonstrations, and meetings for state-wide and regional coalitions against police abuse.
- Organizes “CopWatch” groups that observe and record interactions between law enforcement and local community members to ensure fair and legal treatment.
- Assists local community residents with complaints of abuse and mistreatment by police, prison/jail personnel, and immigration officials.
Serving marginalized residents of CA’s Central Valley, by promoting social & environmental issues through youth outreach, education, technology, & art.
Valley Improvement Projects' Mission Statement: To improve the quality of life of underrepresented and marginalized residents of California’s Central Valley, by promoting social and environmental issues through youth outreach, education, technology, and